Saturday, July 18, 2015

What to watch: Ant-Man (2015)

With the huge success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe it'd be difficult to find someone who hasn't already seen marvel's latest film. If you are one of the few people on the fence about seeing this film I'm here to tell you it's a damn good time at the movies! 
Sure not everyone is a die hard fanboy but honestly this film while having many connections to all the other MCU films is very easy to enjoy without prior knowledge or context. 
Since it's announcement many have speculated that this film would be the first marvel film to fail due to it's more obscure protagonist. The same things were said about Guardians of The Galaxy and now "Groot" is a household name! So I'm not too worried about how much of a financial success this will be. 
The movie starts off with good music and sets the tone right from the get go, making you aware that this is a light hearted action comedy much like several other of marvels films. It's no surprise that Paul Rudd as Scott Lang brought the laughs but I sure as hell wasn't expecting Michael Peña to absolutely steal every scene he was in! Michael Douglas was great as Hank Pym and I very much enjoyed his story arc but I honestly can't say the same for Evangeline Lilly and her portrayal of Pym's daughter Hope Van Dyne sadly. Hopefully she will give a better performance in future films she's in. 
Like most of the marvel origins films, we're given an easily forgettable villain which is sad because I'm a fan of Corey Stall and would've loved to see him grow to be a much bigger threat for Lang in a future Ant-Man movie. The use of large and small scale set pieces is very very enjoyable and it added a wonderfully fresh aspect to the action and fight scenes we've seen in other marvel movies. I personally didn't see this in 3D but I have heard that the use of 3D was very immersive and you'd benefit from seeing it in that format if you're open to that. The movie made an effort to indicate that this was not a job for an entire team of super heroes therefore explaining why the avengers weren't involved and I really liked that. All in all I enjoyed the movie and I'm sure most of you will, especially if you're already a fan of the MCU! I'm going to give this a Full Price and say see it ASAP! Also remember that there's a scene shortly before the full credits start and another (Huge) one after the last of the credits roll so be sure to stick around if you're into that. Once again thanks for taking the time to read my review and I hope you have a great time at the movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment