Thursday, April 7, 2016

Trailer Talk: Rogue One "a Star Wars Story"

I did not expect to like this as much as I did....
I knew I would enjoy it, I mean it's Star Wars so why wouldn't I right? I just wasn't AS excited for this trailer as I was for say the Episode 7 trailer, mostly because it is a "spinoff" of sorts. But boy was I wrong.


First we're introduced to Jyn Erso and given a quick rundown of what her role in the movie will be. The trailer looks and sounds great! The swelling of the music and the jarring alarm sound at 0:56 just perfectly conveys the tone of the movie making it seem like the world is in a state of emergency and the fate of the galaxy depends on Jyn stealing the information on the Death Star. The trailer is damn near perfect aesthetically speaking but if you're interested in some of the finer details of why this movie is so high on my list now we'll have to talk about this cast and crew.
Felicity Jones seems right at home as the rebellious Jyn and is a mixture of Rey's resourcefulness with just enough of that Han Solo badassery that we've come to expect from this type of character.
While I'm sure her character will be great there's one actor whom I'm most excited for in this movie!
Ben Mendelsohn as "Grand Admiral" looks amazing and if his previous work is any indication of what kind of villain we're going to see I personally think we're in for quite a treat. I highly highly recommend watching Starred Up with Jack O'Connell or Slow West with Michael Fassbender if you'd like to see some of his best work as an antagonist or supporting character.
The director is possibly the most important position that needed to be filled when it came to this project and I was cautiously optimistic when Gareth Edwards was announced to be helming the film. Why? You ask? Godzilla (2014) was somewhat panned by critics but while I completely understand most of the criticism I know when certain aspects of a film are done right. The way Edwards used godzilla in the film by not fully introducing the monster immediately was refreshing and made the final fight scene that much more impactful. This can also be seen in Edwards 2010 film "Monsters" which is what got Edwards the job of directing Godzilla in the first place. He does not focus on the aliens and instead opts to make the human characters and their relationship the main focus and the setting of an alien invaded mexico the backdrop. Why does any of this matter? Well it is heavily rumored that Darth Vader will make an appearance in the film and since this (Rogue One) is about a group of non force sensitive rebels who would never stand a chance against vader, it'd be great if Edwards could give Vader the same treatment and have his ominous presence looming in the background. I can't wait to see Edward's vision come to life come december! 

So that's my thoughts on the trailer and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Be sure to check out this blog and any of my social media pages for more info on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story





No comments:

Post a Comment