Saturday, January 24, 2015

What to watch: The Wedding Ringer (2015)

I'll admit I'm not the biggest Kevin Hart fan but I also don't dislike him enough to warrant not watching his films so I decided to watch his latest film and something he's been strongly promoting over Twitter. 
The Wedding Ringer is a simple comedy with an easy story to follow. Doug Harris played by Josh Gad is a wealthy but socially inept young man who's by some miracle landed the girl of his dreams (Kaley Cuoco) but weeks before he is set to marry, Harris realizes he doesn't have any close friends to serve as his groomsmen! In comes Jimmy Callahan the founder and CEO of Best Man, Inc. who helps Harris create a group of non existent friends with whom he has two weeks to pull off the biggest "little white lie" in wedding history. 
How was this movie? Well it was very decent. Nothing surprising from a Kevin Hart led comedy that is basically a mash between Hitch (2005) and Wedding Crashers (2005) which as you can see were both surprisingly released in 2005! Honestly that is all I could think about while watching this film. This film shared the same tone and a lot of the same jokes. If you liked either of those films which I won't lie I actually did, this should be right up your alley. 
The movie did have many faults but that might just be nitpicking on my part since I didn't have high hopes for this in the first place. One of the biggest problems I did have was the forced and underdeveloped love subplot between Hart's character and Cuoco's sister in the film. It felt as if the two originally had more scenes together with maybe some clever flirtatious banter but that wasn't present so I couldn't help dislike that part of the film. There's some other things as well but I don't feel comfortable speaking about those since the film is fairly new and it'd start getting spoilerish. 
My verdict? If you're a Kevin Hart fan which I know a lot of people are then go see this in theaters. If you liked Hitch or Wedding Crashers see it as well but if you want MY personal opinion just wait until this is available for rent. 
Rating:Matinee or Rental





No comments:

Post a Comment