Thursday, October 30, 2014

What to watch: Favorite Jake Gyllenhaal roles

In honor of the Nightcrawler premier tonight I've decided to share with you my favorite performances (in no particular order after number 1 which is my favorite)  by one of the great  actors of our generation. 

1.Zodiac (2007) 
It seriously doesn't get any better than this for me. Some of my favorite actors being masterfully directed by one of my favorite directors in an gripping thriller that just can't be matched. This movie has no flaws for me and call me bias if you want but this just all rolled into one of my favorite films of all time. I'll go more into detail about the actual movie and Gyllenhaal's performance when I review my favorite Fincher movies which I'll be doing soon but definitely check this one out. Imdb rating: 7.8/10

2.Jarhead (2005) 
In this dark and angsty drama/mockumentary we follow Anthony Swofford (Gyllenhaal) through his time of enlistment and service in Saudi Arabia prior to Desert Storm. This film is definitely not what many thought it to be when it was first released since most expected an all out war movie with action and intense battle scenes, instead we got a rare glimpse into the harsh reality of war and the toll that living in the desert in close quarters with hundreds of other people can take on a young man. This film is full of memorable moments and characters while still being honest and gritty. Check this one out if you haven't. Imdb rating:7.1/10

3.End of Watch (2012)
End of Watch is a fast paced simplistic action movie that follows two LAPD cops as they patrol the streets of LA's most dangerous area. Brotherhood is a strong focus in this movie and Gyllenhaal and costar Michael Peña really nail the bond that is formed between partners in perilous gang infested streets. This movie is short but jumps right in and creates attachment for the protagonists immediately and is a nail biter all the way through. I've spoken to people on the force and many agree that this film perfectly portrays that unity and sense of family that comes with wearing the badge. Imdb Rating:7.7/10

4.Prisoners (2013)
There are some really great performances all around in this one, from Paul Dano, Hugh Jackman Viola Davis and Jake Gyllenhaal. The tone of this movie is amazing and is very Fincheresque which might be another reason I love it so much. Gyllenhaal plays the mysterious and driven Detective Loki who is investigating the disappearance of two girls from the home of Keller Dover played by Jackman. Gyllenhaal is said to have created a rather extensive backstory to his character but has never gone into detail or revealed what it is. 
Probably my favorite "role" by Gyllenhaal and the movie as a whole is definitely up there as a close second in the thriller/drama genre with Zodiac. Imdb rating:8.1/10

5.October Sky (1999) 
This film always takes me back to High School and all the times we were shown this during science classes for its extensive and accurate portrayal of the life story of Homer Hickam a NASA engineer. I've grown fond of this movie and it's mostly from nostalgia but it definitely is a good performance from a fairly young Gyllenhaal and is very factual in it's faithfulness to the biography so it deserves a mention. Imdb rating:7.8/10

So those have been some of my favorite roles by Jake Gyllenhaal and I'm sure once I see Nightcrawler pretty soon it'll be crammed in this list somewhere. So be sure to check that out this weekend and all these other great films from one of the best in the business right now. 
Honorable mentions go out to Brokeback Mountain and Donnie Darko which are both great movies. 



No comments:

Post a Comment