Tuesday, November 18, 2014

What to watch: The Babadook (2014)

Okay let me start off by saying that this isn't actually out yet. It has been shown at several festivals around the states but won't get a theater release until November 28th and even that will be limited. Here's hoping it get's shown close by to wherever you or I live. 
I think I should explain why I'm so critical of horror films and why most make me bored instead of scared or interested. When I was young I was very easily scared, I didn't watch scary movies and I had nightmares all the time. I was terrified of the dark, and it made me feel weak, like I knew I wasn't supposed too. One day I just gave that all up and convinced myself that all the things I feared like monsters and things like that didn't exist. After that it's always been hard for me to suspend disbelief when it comes to supernatural and horror elements so in turn I found films on these matters to be laughable and boring. All that being said I still am very fearful, I'm terrified of the deep ocean or the thought of being lost in space. I'm also very scared of mental illness, a terrifying and very real thing that claims many victims every day. This movie can be interpreted as a case of mental illness so it was scary to me for reasons that others might find absurd. Okay so enough about that, let's get into why this is one of my favorite movies in a long time. 
The Babadook is the story of a mother and son struggling to live a normal life after a traffic accident claims the life of the husband and father. Our story begins like any other and some might say it takes a while before it begins to pick up. Please if you watch this give it time to build up the story and don't dismiss it for boring in the first 20 to 30 minutes. Once things beging to unfold and we're introduced to the Babadook it becomes apparent that this story can be supernatural or a case of mental illness and that's why I was interested/scared. The fact that the movie didn't use jump scares or excessive gore to build tension and to scare, is what turned this from a good movie to a great one for me. The threat seemed real and I actually cared about the character's well being. I won't say too much more because I loved that for once I was scared and I finally felt that feeling that makes people want to see horror movies. 
The performances by our two leads were amazing. You can feel the helplessness of the mother through Essie Davis portrayal and Noah Wiseman really blew me away when I found out this was his first and only acting role. The Babadook is terrifying and reminded me of something out of the "Scary stories to tell in the dark" books I used to read in middle school. My favorite thing about this movie and probably the scariest thing was the sound, really the combination of sounds, voices and eerie music really had me on edge and it builds an atmosphere that's hard to forget and shake off. 
So obviously I loved this movie and everything about it. Will you? I really hope so because I want this to do really well so I can see more like this. I want to do a more extensive review with spoilers and everything but I'll leave that for when we get a dvd/bluray release. Until then I can't recommend this enough so please if it eventually comes out in your area see it! If it doesn't try online because it'll definitely be there. 
Rating: Very enthusiastic Full Price!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment