Friday, December 19, 2014

What to watch: Men Women and Children (2014)

I was very excited for this when the first trailer was released, Jason Reitman has made some wonderful movies in my opinion and this didn't seem to be any different. 
This film is....well it's like an interesting book, and that seems to be the only way I can explain it. From the narrator to the way we're treated as an omnipotent presence in the lives of all of these characters, it is obvious that this is an adaptation of a novel. I personally liked the style but I've read negative things about this aspect of the film. 
We follow several different characters as they make their way through certain situations such as love, personal dreams and abandonment all while seeing the different ways people use social media in their day to day lives. Certain performances are better than others which is understandable since some did get a little more development than others but overall nobody was particularly bad. 
The use of social media isn't innovative but it is the best use I've seen so far but sadly this will cause the film to feel terribly dated in the future which is to be expected. The feel of the movie is somewhat slow and it might translate poorly to certain audiences if they aren't expecting a character driven drama, otherwise the slower pace shouldn't be a problem. 
I enjoyed this quite a lot since its right up my alley but I'd have a tough time recommending this unless I know the person would enjoy this type of movie so it's not for everyone. If anything I've said here is something you'd like to see then by all means check it out otherwise I'd say don't rush to see it. 
Rating: Full Price (if you like things like "the social network or perks of being a wallflower") Rental (if those aren't your favorite types of movies.)





No comments:

Post a Comment